Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Y'all. Ya'll.


Since I live in the (almost) Northeast I am not sure of the spelling of the word y'all (ya'll).  My lovely cousin, who lives in Nashville, told me one time and I forget.  I am pretty sure it's y'all and I'm going with my gut...for the rest of the post it will be y'all and y'all can correct me if I'm wrong.  

Now, onto the serious stuff.  I just LOVE the word Y'ALL.  

Ok, so maybe I have been watching too many Paula Deen shows, but that's neither here nor there.  I just love y'all.  As in, all of you, and the word!  See, it's multi-functional!  What a word I tell ya.  I mean, y'all. I am still a beginner and it doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily as I would like.  But, one day I will be fluent and y'all will think I am that much more friendly.  See, it's a friendly word.  

Sounds so much better than the east coast version which is 'youse'.  As in 'youse guys' a la Joe Pesci in....oh, I forgot.  OH, Lord have mercy.  I can't believe I forgot the title of the movie.  What WAS the name of that movie???  The one with Marisa Tomei???  Come on, y'all know it!!!!  (this is me jumping over to google...)  And the answer is...My Cousin Vinny.  How could I forget that?!??   Classic!!  

Anyhoo, as I was saying...I just love the word y'all.  It's friendly.  It's submissive.  It's authoritarian.  It's all encompassing.  It's not just for Southerners anymore.  Y'all better watch out.  I am on a mission to have everyone saying y'all.  It's formal.  It's casual.  It can be used anywhere y'all.  I'm in love I tell ya, and y'all better believe me!

Until next time, y'all.  
xo 










No comments:

Post a Comment